DVLA (1)

Get a Registration Number for Your Vehicle

Van-on-RoadYou’re now the proud owner of a vehicle – you’ve just bought it and you’re eager to start driving it around. However, you can’t do this until you get through several mandatory steps. Everywhere you look, you will see that all the cars have registration number, also known as license plates, as apart from the mark of the car and other criteria, this is one important thing that makes the car unique among others.

When you plan to get a registration number, you will need to use the DVLA contact number and ask them for more details about what to do and what are the necessary documents to get everything right. They are the only authority in this domain that take care of everything related to vehicles, driving licenses and anything else in this area.

Online Application

The DVLA has an online registration form that allows you to ask for a registration number, but only in certain conditions. First of all, you will be able to use this service only if you have your vehicle registered with them, and if you have the vehicle available for inspection – when it’s needed, of course. Apart from this, the service is available for those who have a vehicle that has a SORN for the last five years or if the vehicle has already been taxed.


Before Starting

First of all, you will need to get a certificate number from the online service that’s available for taking a registration number off a vehicle or any of the following documents – a certificate of entitlement or a retention document.

Apart from these, you will also need the reference number made of 11 digits from the last registration certificate and, of course, a valid credit card, to be able to pay the renewal fees. Keep in mind that if you have a vehicle with a customized registration number (personalized), you will have to take it down before using this type of service, otherwise you will lose the possibility to use it.

Something else that you need to know is that you are not allowed to make the vehicle look newer than it is.

1a80ef3Other Way to Applying to This Service

If you can’t use the online forms, you can always use the postal services. This way, you will need to send the registration certificate for your vehicle, or a document called the new keeper’s supplement, but this has to come with an application for a vehicle registration certificate, along with any fees that are required.

You will also need to send several other documents, like the application for vehicle tax, the money for the vehicle tax and an MOT certificate.

The Next Steps

Once all this is done, the DVLA will call you and ask for a meeting, to fix an appointment for inspecting your vehicle if it’s needed. This usually happens when the vehicle is not new. If that’s not the case, the application that you have sent will receive a pre-approval in about two weeks, and you will receive a new registration certificate, along with the original MOT, if it was sent.




When Can You File for Vehicle Tax Refund?

imgpDrivers and Vehicle Licensing Agency or DVLA is very strict when it comes to Vehicle taxation. One of their main goals or target is to ensure that everyone who is required to pay the vehicle tax will pay – in other words, decrease tax evaders tremendously.

Before we tackle, how you can file a vehicle tax refund let us first discuss why you need to pay vehicle tax in the first place.

In the UK, if you are utilizing a vehicle of any type in the public roads – then your vehicle is subject to Vehicle Excise Duty or Vehicle tax. However, if your vehicle is not used in the public roads, you can file a SORN or Statutory Off Road Notification for you to be exempted with VED.  VED is being strictly collected by DVLA. The collection is utilized for the improvement of DVLA services and processes, road safety projects, assistance on road-related crime resolutions, aid in environmental initiatives and many more.

The bases of car vehicle tax rates are fuel type or engine size and CO2 emissions, and depending on the vehicle registration date. You can easily calculate your vehicle’s tax in DVLA’s website.  If you want to apply, you can do so by submitting V5C registration certificate or your new keeper supplement (V5C/2) or your last chance warning – this is in case you didn’t receive your reminder letter. Other methods you can try are: calling via phone through the DVLA contact number or drop by the nearest post office.



Now, what are the instances when you can request for a refund or get your VED cancelled? Here are the most common scenarios:

  • If you are exported – If you are leaving the UK for more than 12-months then you can file for notification of permanent export. Refund will be provided usually within 2-6 weeks .If you already left the UK, you need to fill out the V561 certificate of permanent export, and you need to use V756 when applying to this one. If you are just moving your vehicle within Great Britain and Northern Ireland, there is no need to do this. Simply file for change of address in the V5CNI certificate and send back to DVLA.
  • If the vehicle has been sold or transferred – You will need to provide DVLA the 11 digit reference number from the latest registration certification which is the V5C and the permission of the buyer or seller incase you are the authorized representative. Remember that tax isn’t transferred when the vehicle is sold. The refund will be processed right away and is automatically refunded to the current V5C.
  • dvla (1)Made a SORN or Statutory Off Road Notification – if you have filed this, then your vehicle tax can be cancelled.
  • When your vehicle has been Scrapped at an Authorised treatment facility – there will be a time when you have to finally let go of your vehicle because its use finally ended. You need to bring your vehicle to an authorized treatment facility (ATF)


For stolen vehicles, you will not receive automatic refund. You will have to file the request at DVLA.

The provided turn around time for refunds is within 4-6 weeks; if you haven’t gotten your refund then you have to contact DVLA. Refund cheque is sent to you for the full months remaining on the vehicle tax. Be sure that the name and information on your V5C registration document is accurate because this will be where DVLA will be sending the refund, then your vehicle tax direct debit will be automatically cancelled